[ad_1]

SRINAGAR: The home ministry on Wednesday ordered withdrawal of more than 10,000 security personnel from Jammu and Kashmir, brought to the erstwhile state before August 5 last year.
The ministry had flown in at least 400 companies to J&K before nullification of Articles 370 and 35A and re-organisation of J&K into two Union Territories on August 5, 2019. Each company comprises 100-110 men, which means over 10,000 personnel are on their way out of J&K.
“It has been decided to withdraw 100 companies of CAPFs with immediate effect from J&K and revert them back to their respective locations,” the MHA order said.
The de-induction coincides with the appointment of a politician, former Union minister Manoj Sinha, as lieutenant governor in place of G C Murmu. The replacement is seen as reflecting the Centre;s assessment that the security situation may have stabilised, opening a window to explore revival of the political process.
In the fortnight since his arrival here, Sinha has sought to reach out to different sections of society, holding interactions with vice-chancellors on improving education and implementing the New Education Policy, incentivising doctors serving in remote areas and calling for filling up vacant positions of public health personnel, and engaging with traders.
He has also given instructions for swift and efficient implementation of the central scheme for construction of rural roads, and for involving representatives of local bodies in execution of development schemes and ensuring transparency.
Notably, on Tuesday, there was no incident of violence reported from anywhere across the former state, particularly from any part of Kashmir division.
At least 40,000 additional troops were deployed across J&K prior to last year’s nullification of Article 370 and dividing the erstwhile state into two UTs. They were positioned for almost four months — from August to November 2019 — on all streets and sensitive places to contain possible protests and to deal with law and order issues.
Sources said the remaining troops sent to J&K last year — at least 300 companies — will continue to be stationed in Kashmir and their withdrawal will depend on the second review by the MHA next month.
The break-up of 100 companies that are being pulled out of J&K include 40 companies from CRPF, 20 from BSF, 20 from SSB and 20 from ITBP.

[ad_2]

Source link