According to the Hindu calendar, Nag Panchami Puja is performed on the fifth day of the bright half of lunar month of Shravana (July-August). This year, the Panchami Tithi begins at 02:34 PM on July 24, 2020, and ends at 12:02 PM on July 25, 2020. Nag Panchami Puja Muhurat is from 05:39 AM to 08:22 AM on July 25, 2020. The Nag Panchami Puja Muhurat is of 2 hours and 44 minutes.
Nag Panchami Puja Mantra
सर्वे नागाः प्रीयन्तां मे ये केचित् पृथ्वीतले।
ये च हेलिमरीचिस्था येऽन्तरे दिवि संस्थिताः॥
ये नदीषु महानागा ये सरस्वतिगामिनः।
ये च वापीतडगेषु तेषु सर्वेषु वै नमः॥
Meaning of Mantra: All the snakes who are staying in this world, sky, heaven, sun-rays, lakes, wells, ponds etc. bless us, we all bow to you.
अनन्तं वासुकिं शेषं पद्मनाभं च कम्बलम्।
शङ्ख पालं धृतराष्ट्रं तक्षकं कालियं तथा॥
एतानि नव नामानि नागानां च महात्मनाम्।
सायङ्काले पठेन्नित्यं प्रातःकाले विशेषतः।
तस्य विषभयं नास्ति सर्वत्र विजयी भवेत्॥
Meaning of Mantra: Ananta, Vasuki, Shesha, Padmanabha, Kambala, Shankhapala, Dhritarashtra, Takshaka, Kaliya and others are respected. One who chants their name every evening and morning will be protected from all evils and would become victorious in life.
Nag Panchami Puja Vidhi
- Wake up in the morning, take bath and get dressed in fresh clothes
- Keep a fast on the Nag Panchami day
- Place an idol/photo of Nag Devta in place of worship
- The idol of Nag Devta can be made up of silver, stone, or wood
- First, bathe the Nag Devta with water and milk
- Then worshipped with the reciting Nag Panchami Puja Mantra
- Offer the food prepared as offering to the snake god
- Fold your hand and pray to the serpent Gods