MEERUT: The three-member special investigation team (SIT) probing the death of US scholar Sudeeksha Bhati in a road mishap arrested two persons on Sunday. They are believed to be the same persons who caused the accident that killed her.
The arrest comes five days after the accident in Bulandshahr’s Aurangabad area. The kin of the 19-year-old deceased Sudeeksha had alleged that their daughter was harassed by the men on a Bullet motorcycle.
The arrested accused have been identified as Deepak Chaudhary and Raju Kumar who were traced after SIT probing the case scanned through ownership of at least 10,000 Bullet bikes in the district and multiple CCTV footages in and around the accident spot.
While Deepak, seen driving the bullet in CCTV footages, works with a local architect, 50-year-old Raju is a mason by profession and the duo were on their way to a construction site at the time of the accident, their interrogation revealed.
As per Bulandshahr police, panicked over the media limelight in the case, Deepak not only got his motorcycle repaired but modified it in a bid to throw police off the scent once it began looking for the bullet. As per investigators, Deepak got new tyres, registration plate, silencer and covered the bullet with a camouflage sticker to give it a complete makeover.
Based on the complaint of the family of deceased, Bulandshahar police has already registered a case under section 304-A (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 279 (rash driving) and relevant sections of motor vehicle act against unidentified suspects at Aurangabad police station in the district.
A three-member SIT was formed under circle officer Diksha Singh over allegations of harassment and eve-teasing in what was initially claimed by the police as an accident. From family alleging harassment by men on a Bullet bike to police debunking it and family attacking police for not pressing harassment charges in the FIR- the case has undergone several twists in little less than a week’s time.
Sudeeksha, the daughter of a tea shop owner, had secured a full scholarship to an undergraduate business programme at the prestigious Babson College in Massachusetts two years ago. She had come to India in March after her college was shut because of the pandemic and her return was due on August 20.


Source link